[Amc-list] sheesh what next?

After I put the new drums back on, I packed up the dogs and went out for
errands, and stopped at the wand car wash to clean off the chassis (it's
been 6 months) in preparation for doing valves and head retorque.

Got the distributor cap wet (condensation inside) but no big deal. On
the drive home (2 mi) it develops a clutch noise! With pressure on the
throwout bearing, something's chattering slightly against the tin
flywheel cover!

The clutch has been perfect, absolutely silent, no noise chatter or
slip. All I can figure is I blew some flap inside, or a piece of
Something, into the housing with the high-pressure water. It's a
super-tinny scraping sound.

I'll see if it "goes away". If it's still there Sunday, I'll climb under
the car with the engine running, pry the play out of the clutch pedal
and bang things with a rubber mallet to see if the cover shifts back, etc.

Head retorque (cracked loose 1/4th turn this time; a few took more
torque), valves checked (none moved more than 1/6th turn). Idle screws
tweaked (within 1/8th turn), pulled three plugs to look (3, 6, 2) all
were lots-of-cream-in-coffee with no ash. 5000 miles since last check.
Should have checked compression, too lazy. New air filter (very crudded
up, what with the cold air inlet I added). I really should check that;
if it's really good I might try to fix all the oil seeps (mostly pan,
side covers, I think the timing cover, it's oily mist up front) and rear
seal and just run it long-ish term, and delay re-assembling that other
motor.