[Amc-list] Compression Ratio

If I remember right it was only the crank gear that needed to be replaced on
the Fe'ords. It's SO far off you can see it by visually comparing one
against a non-retard gear. You're right it makes a HUGE difference in
performance!
BUT you can only gain SO much by advancing the cam timing. Then there's that
valve to piston clearance thingy,,,
We used to do some "stock class" circle track motors. The hot setup was to
use 305 4bbl heads on a 350 engine to get the compression up. Then we used a
3 keyway timing chain and installed it in the 4' advanced position. Really
helped the low end to get em off the corner quicker,,, then there was the
cheater stock cams we had done,,, more duration with stock lift,,,,,
narrowed the valves up by grinding a "back angle" on them and then sent them
out to be "shot peened" to cover the grinding marks,,,
And there's this place called Brezezinski racing "http://www.castheads.com/";
that does some AMAZING stuff with cast iron!!!
Never ONCE got called on ANY of our "modifications". Like old Smokey used to
say,,, "if you ain't cheatin you ain't winnin!"
But hey,, that's just ME!
Bruce Hevner