Re: [Amc-list] Compression Ratio: Static, Dynamic

Re: [Amc-list] Compression Ratio: Static, Dynamic

All your really doing is changing the cylinder pressures, not changing the actual compression ratio.
   The cam just gets used to bleed or lower pressure to make it act like a lower compression ratio.
You can't use the cam to raise the pressure above a certain level.
Compression ratio is calculated by the piston travel, bore size etc;

Way back in the 70's or 80's Hotrod built a circle track type tow rig box van with about 12-1 static compression and bled the pressure off with some "high tech" cam etc to supposedly get optimum whos-is and what-is out of the SBC. They succeeded in getting a decnet amount of power and about 14-15mpg IIRC.
  That was many years ago and that's about all I remember about that specific experiment. Whoever was making the cams, Crane?, was trying to create a "new" niche during the fuel crunch of the 70's IIRC. Don't think that idea went far.
I have no idea of what may or may not have been the limiting factors in the idea.

  Guys over on the stroker list have been using the cam design to make th elowbuck strokers more driveable by bleeding off some of the pressue for less ping. Since the engine is stroked the cubic inches make up for the drop caused by cam overlap.
   In a perfect world the fuel would have enough octane that the overlap could be cut back, pressures raised and more power would be the result.

   Now, I'll shut up. I've probably posted just enough stuff on this to look like an idiot... :]

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Greg Taylor <amundaza@xxxxxxxxx>