Re: [Amc-list] We burned our fair share of 87 today, woohoo!!!

Re: [Amc-list] We burned our fair share of 87 today, woohoo!!!

I've got a few clues about the noise. It is quieter than before, but
still too loud.

Anyway, I took off the access plates, painted them, tried cork gaskets
that broke and had an opening of about 1/8" of an inch or so. Not
good. I decided to use Permatex Copper tube goop to form gaskets, but
I don't think it is completely sealed. Trying to decide if oil on the
engine is from adjusting the valves hot and running, or from my
external oil line, or from access plates. My plan is to clean it,
drive it and check it. I picked up some Right Stuff, so will just redo
the access plates.

I also have a replacement gasket for the valve cover. I'll pop that on
and see if it quiets down a bit. I think I'll sneak out between
conference calls and replace it.

Finally - my son noticed fumes when commuting in the car. We didn't
have that issue when driving along back roads at 35-45MPH, but it is
noticable in stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic. We need to check
that the exhaust manifold is seating correctly, and double check the
donut that goes between the exhuast manifold and the exhaust pipe - in
case we have an exhaust leak.

Think we'll take a length of hose and listen.

Speaking of exhaust leaks - the gasket where the steering column goes
through the firewall is pretty much gone. We can see the engine
compartment through it. Can that be fixed with goop in a can, or do I
need to pick up a new gasket? Any recommendations on goop in a can?
Right now we drive with the windows open - we might want to shut them
come January.