Re: [Amc-list] I hate to say it...

I'm not personally fond of the Dud Maggot, but why not keep it AMC designed? A 4.0L has plenty of power to move my 1 ton truck around. (makes more power than the IH BG241 that I hauled my '77 F350 12' flatbed and '73 J4000 remnants to the scrapyard with, in one load!)

From: Jim Boone
Subject: [Amc-list] I hate to say it...

Lately I've been considering something sacrilegious;

I've been looking at my AMC projects, what to "cast off", and what to keep.  My absolute keeper is the '69 Rambler sedan which currently has a '70 390 with T5.  I also like my '67 Rebel wagon that currently has a 232 with T-14 3 speed that was installed later (before I owned it).  I had wanted to rig the wagon as a tow vehicle for the '69 - I thought that would be a cool setup to go to car shows out of area.

So, I was thinking, instead of scrounging/refurbishing all the correct AMC stuff, why not look at getting a 5.7L late model Hemi/auto trans setup and install in the wagon?  Would solve all towing and drivability issues.  Good, low mileage takeouts go for ~$4K with the trans and computer/wiring.  You can't hardly rebuild engine/trans setup for that, much less have the power and ease of operation of the late model stuff for that.

It wouldn't be AMC exactly, but it is "in the family", and certainly not the SBC setup most folks retrofit.  I'd have to upgrade brakes, rebuild suspension (which I was gonna do anyway), fab a custom driveshaft, and the stock rear AMC 20 would be OK - maybe a rebuild, upgrade to twin-grip and gear change (currently a 3.15), but, there again, I was looking at doing the rear anyway.

This would leave the '69 as the lumpy-cam, manual shift, "old skool" car for fun, and the wagon as a AMC version of the late model Dodge Magnum...

Jim Boone
Mims, FL