Re: [Amc-list] 360/390 4-speed (slightly OT)

I did the 4 speed O/D on the column with my '66 Fairlane ST (not the Tbolt copy that was stolen) with 289. I used an under dash cable to operate reverse.

From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 360/390 4-speed (slightly OT)
To: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx, "AMC/Rambler owners,	drivers and fans."

Depends on the actual trans you are looking at.
Most of the true toploading Fraud trans are blocky as hell to shift!
The trick for this type trans is the one out of a Granada or Mustang II.
It is actually a True toploader 4 speed reminiscent of the older 1-1 first gear toploaders.
except as in the truck tranny you mention 3rd was made 1-1 and 4th is .80ish. The shifter lever on the side of the case was flipped to allow a standard shiftr to work!
   I always have hankered for one of these trans hooked to a column shifter for four on the column! With a small reverse lever or puch pull rod on the floor or under the dash for  reverse!
   You could probably use an O/drive cable if you wanted to!

--
Mark Price