Re: [Amc-list] Rambler Runs, Revisited (!@!@!!!!$$! T-96)

Frank Swygert wrote:

> Oil from a leaking rear main gets on the clutch. Unfortunately, I
> know this for sure! Think about it -- just as you say, it gets on the
> back of the flywheel. Well, then it slings all over the bell housing,
> and runs/drips from the top side onto the clutch.

Oh, that makes sense (unfortunately :-) The rear seal is weepy, but I
didn't think that bad. There was no sign of oil on the previous clutch
(it's still in the lab, I never returned the core). I think I'll go look
again.

> That pop you hear is the clutch disc fighting the hub springs.

Oh of course. It was rare, but did it twice yesterday, but it sat for
three weeks or more. I may have to do the rear seal! Never did one in
the car before. I have one of those BEST brand teflon jobs in the box
here...

Thanks for the tip!