[Amc-list] Rambler Runs, Revisited (!@!@!!!!$$! T-96)

T-96 in and driving. What a PITA!

Last time it all went together easy, this time, I screwed something up
twice (last time, put the 1st gear slider on BACKWARDS, found out when I
was installing the main shaft cluster into the case, aargh).

I *think* I figured out what killed it the first time...

I had a T-96+OD, non-Twin-Stick, as parts donor. Luckily, it was in
excellent condition, either rebuilt or somehow, someone just babied it.
All the gears were like-new, friction rings perfect, etc.

On mine, pretty much all the parts in the clutch shaft/main shaft were
ruined. The outside circlip on the clutch shaft was off, allowing the
clutch shaft to push inward and jam the stack together. This turned all
13 rollers into square logs, gouged the clutch hub thingie, ruined a
friction ring, heated the mainshaft and clutch shaft journals blue,
ground/blued the edge of 2nd gear on the mainshaft... all because
clearance from clutch to main shafts went to 0 (full contact).

Turns out, when I put that snapring on, it had to be tapped to full
engage it's slot. I don't recall doing that before. With my 4 ounce
hammer and small punch, not a lot of force! just seated the snapring. I
think it was just riding on the outer edgeof the groove and popped out.

Ultimately it went together satisfyingly correct. I triple-checked all
the clearances, mainly end-play between things spinning on the same
axis. If it fails later, it's correct now!

There was fine metal in the case, oh well. I washed everythign out,
dunked/shook the bearings in laquer thinner+ATF. I took one of those
disk drive super-magnets, broke it into three pieces, and put them into
strategic places to catch the rest (the two gutters in the main case,
and the runner in the OD case, from the big gutter).

It shifts *correctly* now. I believe I had a "hint" that something was
wrong before and overlooked it, really, didn't know it meant anything.

1-2, 2-3, 3-2 shifts all felt a little different. Now they all feel the
same. I think that was the hint that Something Was Wrong. They have
exactly the same feel, and man, I can tell you, I am pay attention to
precise details now (and thinking the worst, and imagining that top
.001" of super-hard metal grinding itself in to mirror flakes in the new
oil :-)

The car has one odd problem. I think it's the clutch disk sticking ever
so slightly to the flywheel or PP when it sits parked, engine-off. Did
this before. Engine off, press the clutch, car doesn't roll (driveway
slight hill). Crank it, a mild bang, then it rolls. Doesn't repeat
unless I leave the car off overnight or something, and not always, then.

Would mean gunk on the disc, not good. But no real way to get oil in
there, and what else would it be? Leaking rear seal flings oil down the
BACK of the flywheel. The only source of good near the face is the pilot
bearing, and it's NOT overlubed, in fact, it's probably slightly too dry.

Odd, I've done plenty of clutches in my life. It works perfectly, no
grabbing, chatter, slipping, etc and no sign of leaks or whatever.

Who cares I'm driving it.