Re: [Amc-list] Wow - they weren't kidding when they said retorque that h

Re: [Amc-list] Wow - they weren't kidding when they said retorque that head! (and other assorted questions)

You'll just have to watch for liquid leaking down from the heater control valve (that valve on the standpipe near the back of the engine).  You should be able to tell pretty easily whether it stays dry or not.  The valve itself could be leaking or the threaded connection on the pipe could be corroded or loose.  When you get those side plates off, you'll see there is a flange 1/2 inch or so inside the outer rim.  Those retangular gaskets will fit just outside that flange.  Tom J. was talking about using the "Right Stuff" sealant (and no gasket) on those side covers.  I chickened out and used the gaskets with sealant applied between the flange and the gasket, with the dry side of the gasket towards the engine.  I hope your gaskets came with the new rubber washers which fit over the side cover bolts.  Those are necessary to prevent leaks too.

Congratulations on the drive and good luck.

Joe Fulton