[Amc-list] Wow - they weren't kidding when they said retorque that head!

[Amc-list] Wow - they weren't kidding when they said retorque that head! (and other assorted questions)

Okay, we torqued that head. Sewed the engine all up. Set the valve
lash using an offset for col (thanks for that info). Got it running.
Idle was WAY too high!!!!! Re-adjusted the throttle cable and we're
all good. Yanked my poor flaring job on the external oil feed line and
just used a pre-made brake line. It works. Not pretty, but works.

So - what new things did I learn? I was running down the street to see
how it drove. I parked it, and wondered where all the liquid came from
under the car! Checked all hoses, and they were nice and dry. Shrugged
my shoulders. Started it up again. More of a leak. My son checked it
out while running and noticed a nice spray towards the back on the
engine. All hoses still looked good.

Then we put on our thinking caps. Took off the valve cover. Tested a
bolt or two for torque. They weren't as tight as they should be.
Re-torqued the head, and getting ready to try it again. New battery is
dead. Have it on a charger. Thinking it's alternator time.

Now - towards the back of the engine there is a tube that goes into
block and it has the heater control valve on it. Do I need to use a
thread sealer on that tube? What's the deal with that? How do I make
sure it's not leaking?

Also, I got new cork gaskets for the access plates. They were kinda
dry and the ends broke off. They are also a bit smaller than the
access plate - so there is a gap. Any suggestions? I'm thinking that
might be contributing to noise.