Re: [Amc-list] Before and After engine compartment

Joe Fulton wrote:
> I know about cautions of teflon tape on fuel lines, but I have been
> using Permatex teflon liquid thread sealant on various engine
> fasteners including those head bolts intruding into a water jacket.
> The uses stated on the bottle include fuel line fittings and brake
> line fittings.  Those sound like reasonable applications to me and
> I'm considering using the sealant on the brake line fittings of the
> 65 Rambler.  I'll be splicing some brake lines in connection with
> replacing the master cylinder.

While the fluid seal is done metal to metal at the flare and cone (same
seal principle as an O-ring -- reduce the seal area to near-zero and
even with high lbs/sq/in, with near-zero sq/in the effective pressure is
close to 0) there are other things going on in there. The two cones I
believe have different "slopes" so that the contact area is a very thin
ring.

Teflon sealant would help prevent the joint from seizing, making it more
maintainable. It would seal out water etc and reduce the contact area in
the threads so corrosion that did get in wouldn't have so much leverage
at removal time.