Re: [Amc-list] T-96 woes...

> Bummer about the trans.
> I kind of wonder if the light oil experiment did not cause this?

Nahh, it's a HARD failure. The clutch shaft has a taper on the inside
end, to hold the friction ring, making a cone. That cone was peened over
from rotating jammed against the mainshaft! The friction ring (the brass
thing with 5-sided teeth that does the early synchro engagement) had to
be pried off.

I don't really understand the failure. The snapring was a bit loose, but
come on, it wasn't THAT! loose! I'm not (that kind of) idiot!

Short of dropping the trans on it's nose, I don't understand how the
snapring came off in the first place, or if THAT was a symptom of some
weird assembly error or component problem. I assume I screwed up
somewhere -- this trans operated, and fit just fine, before I started.

I sure would like to know 101% what I did wrong before I stick it back
in the hole. I never stressed it, didn't drop it, and it slipped right
into place in the car with no forcing, and mated up flat to the bell. I
didn't pull it in place with the bolts or any such foolishness.

> There is mention on several different fronts about not using too light a lube in the non world class T5s as the ride on the main shaft and failure will occur. The NWC trans specs gear lube.
>    I've run 20W-50 mobile one and or Redline MTF in mine for years with no failure, so I don't know that is what caused your T-96 failure.

If it was just bearing failure, I might think that. Once I get it fully
apart, I'll see what it is exactly that's supposed to limit clutch-shaft
to main-shaft contact. I assumed it was the snaprings etc at each end of
the case keep 'em from bumping too hard in the middle.

> We just got a salary schedule funded that was supposed to be funded in 2001 though!
> I will receive an almost  $2 an hour raise on October 1st, yeah!

Whatsa raise?!