[Amc-list] T-96 woes...

Yow, woes, more like woah!

 From "get out the jack" to transmission on the table, 60 minutes. Man
it's an easy car to work on!

Got the cover off, the synchros were just fine. I measured the end play
I should have earlier, and it was .074", right in the middle of the spec.

Then I noticed the small teeth on 3rd gear were... blue? Pulled the nose
  thing (throwout bearing tube) off, the snap ring on the input shaft
was out of it's groove. Oops. I know I installed it, because I have a
photograph.

Story short -- the input shaft ran inward, the cone for the friction
ring pressed and spin against the mainshaft, peening the end, making a
lot of heat, and the 13 rollers all became D-shaped and ground the input
and mainshafts into ruins.

Never made a sound, just started shifting funny.

I rechecked the fit of the snapring, it wasn't that good, it was
slightly sprung. I used a real snapring tool, didn't over-stretch it,
but clearly I missed that it was worn. The groove is wider than the snap
ring too, but clean and square. Its the snapring that came off. I don't
really think the groove width is the problem, since it all sits flat and
the bearing and fit was all fine. I didn't drop the trans on it's nose
or anything. I looked for signs that the trans was jammed against the
end of the crankshaft (nose of input shaft not shiny, hole in end of
crank has drill/machine marks and consistently dull colored, etc).

All of these parts (engine, bell, flywheel, trans, shaft, etc) all came
out of the car so nothing like overall length changed etc.

All other parts are completely fine. No trash in the box, and the oil
was OK. The bad junk stayed in place.

GDMF PITA! I have another T-96 to swipe parts from but I wonder if I
should not just stick the T-14 in there and find another axle. With
another year of school coming up I'm not ready to embark on the Pony
adapter and T5 business, never mind the cost. I'd consider it I suppose
if I could use the 1 x 10 spline clutch, eg. it will just stick in the
existing hole.

And as I'm a CA state employee, I am being paid minimum wage until the
miserable SOBs in the legislature settle on a budget. (Not in CA you
probably miss that teapotted tempest.)