Re: [Amc-list] sx4 issues to check while buying

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I don't remember any of those being anything other than a sedan and on top of that some of those where the Nonvinyl, which adds yet another difference in the sedans appearance!
> If you see a painted roof Eagle I suggest you check it out as that is where the AMC 4cyl ended up in the most.

My major problem with later AMC stuff is the low-quality froo froo that
got stuck on, so common for the era in AMerican cars. Crap vinyl roofs,
stick-on "trim" with busy cheap patterns, etc. Underneath it all a
decent chassis, albeit with assembly quality issues, sometimes, but all
that cheap trim...

An SX/4 with Iron Duke would be a fine thing indeed. Never owned one,
and can't attest to tune-up access issues, but when a chassis has the
right driveline setup (or is a bit undersized) they're often less worn
out, esaier to run, more reliable, more fun to drive because you get to
notice, and use, all the stuff in the car that's not the gas pedal. To
each his own of course, but the fast cars I had, that's all I noticed,
fast!, and all I worked on was engine and related stuff.

It's a small car. Getting ride of late model carbs is a good thing. I'm
happy enough with old, simple carbs on old simple motors, but they are a
PITA to keep straight when asked to do complicated jobs! Carter YF? Easy
to tweak into a perfect state of tune (for that altitude, temperature,
season... :-)

I hope it's not rusted out!