[Amc-list] V8 Intake removal options- GRUNT!

[Amc-list] V8 Intake removal options- GRUNT!

Hey Biker Fox,

As you have discovered, the V8 stock intakes weight over 70 lb's and that is only added to by the extra "stick" from the old gaskets, etc....

If you have the arms of a Black Smith (or mine, I guess!) without the back of a 70 yr old (yeah, probably mine as well!) you can stick a broad screwdriver under the front of the intake and pry while pulling up and it will break the seals.  Then grunt it out!  You may need to use a hammer and tap the screwdriver through the front rubber gasket... just don't damage anything!

THere is a HUGE difference between lifting a 70 lb intake out of an AMbo or FSJ as compared to a Hornet or Gremlin!

If you need some help with the initial lift, you can use this rig I built for changing Motor Mounts, oil pan gaskets, etc...

Take 2 2x6's that are as wide as the hood plus a little.

Cut 4 8-inch pieces out of a 2 x4.

Place the 2 x 6's  on a flat floor, perpindicular to the floor and  parrellel to one another

Screw 1 of the 8-inch 2 x 4 pieces across the top on each end of the 2 x 6's so that the outer edge of the 2 x 6's are 8" apart.

(MAN this is a lot easier to show than to tell... but I am traveling and the contraption is at home!)

If this is in an AMC Car (and not an FSJ) there should be a "shoulder" on each side of the engine bay that the hood closes down into.  Place your "frame" across the engine bay and you will see that you can use the last 2 2 x 4 pieces on the bottom side of the frame to raise it a couple of inches and keep it from touching the fenders.  Screw them in.

I know this sounds confusing, but if you just lay it out, you will see what I mean!  This shouldn't take a half hour to make and it is OH so useful if you don't have an engine hoist!

OK, so now you have a littel frame with the strong edge of the 2 x 6's ready to support the weight of the entire engine, or just the intake!

Take the remainder of your 2 x 4 and cut out one 10" piece.

Go to hardware store and buy the following
1. a machine thread "J" hook, 1/2 or as close as you can get to it, 10 or so inches long.  (you can get an "eye" hook if you can't find a "j"

2.  2 nuts and 2 washers that fit hook

3.  Chain that is big enough for the intake or exhaust bolts to fit through (3/8's?) and long enough to cross the engine diagonally.  We only need a short piece of chain, but you will find it so useful you should get the chain extra long.

4.  a removable link if you got an "eye Hook"

5.  Drill a hole, just big enough for the threaded end of your hook to go through the 2 x 4 x 10 inches long

6.  Remove the carb from intake

7.  PLace hook through 2 x 4 x 10....put the 2 washers on the "Stud" side of the hook, along with the nuts.

8.  Place the "frame" over the engine compartment

9.  Place the J hook hanging down, fully extended

10.  use other nuts and washers to put a chain on the carb studs, making it as tight as possible.

11.  Hook onto the chain with the j hook and start tightenging the nut down.  This should lift the intake straght up as it shortens the "J hook"... you can also use the aforementioned tapping a screwdriver though the front gasket, and prying up once you have some lift from the device.

ONce the intake is free, take some wood pieces and put them under the intake across the valve covers so you can keep the intake high and get your fingers under it.

12  Remove the device, call a friend and have them help you lift it out!

You can use this for supporting the engine in many circumstances, so keep all the stuff together!

Good luck and have a good weekend!  I am stupid from the late hour, but I hope this makes sense!

Jesse

Jesse