--------------
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:37:44 -0400
From: "Bruce Griffis" <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

While the head was off, I checked the cylinder walls. Most are in good
shape, but one has a very small nick or gouge in it. Can't really see
it very well, but I can feel it when running my hand in the cylinder.
Not good.

Since it was running okay, just blowing white smoke from coolant, I'm
thinking of sewing it up and driving it. But - I know that if I can
feel a small nick, the piston rings will definately "notice" it, too,
and a small amount of damage can turn into a large amount pretty
quickly.

Time to save up for some engine work. Not sure if it could be honed
out, or if I would need to get it bored .030 over. Those of you that
have bored out a 195.6 OHV, what is a general ballpark for boring it
and going to oversize pistons? I need to figure out how much to put
away. While it might work for a while (if I keep the revs down and the
oil clean), it will need attention soon. Hopefully not sooner than my
wallet can recover.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"