Re: [Amc-list] T-96 woes (again)

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Adapt the O.D unit to the back of the T4 I have here.
> It's got 4-1 first gear, you could drive an 8 speed.... :]

Oh yeah that would be a lot of fun... shift every 400, 500 rpm!!

Well it didn't jam up on the way to work so screw it, I'll drive it for
now. Certainly I'll fix this transmission, whatever is wrong is
relatively minor.

But the T-96 is the weakest part of this car, performance-wise. Only
partly do I mean drag-strip type performance. It's just a slow wide
geared box. OK the motor's slow, but the transmission holds it back, even.

I may make one tepid attempt to find the T-14 + OD output shaft part,
but maybe not. A T-14 would certainly drop in the hole with just
shifter, driveshaft and speedo changes, all straightforward issues.

But it may be reason to revisit the T-5 in this car over the winter.

Mark, is your T-4 handy? Can you measure the distance from the front
mounting flange to the centerline of the shifter?