Re: [Amc-list] overheating, and Smokey Yunick

Sandwich Maker wrote:

> i'd guess about the point the exhaust valve begins to have meaningful
> opening...  there's still plenty of heat and pressure in the exhaust,
> or turbos wouldn't work.

It's pure waste, 100% wasted energy. Down the toilet energy.

If you were to build two motors for exactly 100hp output at WOT, one
normally aspirated and one turboed all dialed in, the turbo one will use
a less total fuel, and have a lower exhaust temperature. It will also be
a smaller displacement. The same amount of ENERGY will be produced, and
that came from the fuel -- the rest of the fuel energy was pi**ed out
the tailpipe.

All turbos will have lower exhaust temperature. Heat == energy, energy
== heat. The waste heat expands gases and pushes the turbine, that very
act lowers the temperature. That's just basic physics, nothing car specific.