[Amc-list] overheating, and Smokey Yunick

[Amc-list] overheating, and Smokey Yunick

Speaking of overheating...

What with Bruce Hevner mentioning Yunick some time back I found a copy
of POWER SECRETS cheap on abebooks.com. (I realized later I'd read it
long ago, but lost it.)

OK, it's 100% Brand C, but man, it's worth reading. Every single thing
the guy talked about (early 1980's) as 'new' or 'coming trends' has
happened. Coil-per-plug, electronic FI, metallurgy, etc, you name it.

Funny too as a lot of what he recommends for making effective HP is ...
boring, unexciting, and it looks like, rarely followed. He's one of
those umm jerks who never believes what he's told, and tests tests
tests. Probably pissed off a lot of friends. Stuff like when big cams,
big valves, big lift all a waste of time (and when they're not). Spend
money on exhaust systems (boring, unflashy). That sort of thing.

If you look at his projects you can see he deeply gets one really
critical thing: heat as energy. He says an ordinary radiator, 18 x 20
inches, is plenty, and mostly what he talks about building is 500 -
700hp. The hint is, that heat should be going into the flywheel, not the
water our out the tailpipe. Hot exhaust and hot heads means bad
combustion, and that's true even in little street sixes.

Overheating, unless something's broken or plugged up, is an engine
geometry or tuning problem, period.

If I had access to a dyno to build motors with, the instrument I'd use
for tuning is an exhaust pyrometer. Max HP + lowest exhaust temp, there
you go, as a rule of thumb you can't get better.