[Amc-list] Rambler six comma fast

 From the inliners.org forum:

... I have a similar engine in my 27 Ford T. A 258 AMC bored to 267.
Early Buick turbocharger, 4-bbl carb. Have had engine in various forms
for years. An earlier turbocharged version with a S&S Harley carb tured
14.20 at drags in a 1965 Rambler American. Present set-up in a car half
the weight is awesome. Good luck on your project. I am new to this site
so when I figure out how to post pictures I will. Mike (Alton IL)

No one laughs at AMC over there, even though they're mostly chevy six
nuts. There's a guy who milled the trough off his Willys 150ci 4-banger
to put two side drafts on. Crazy people like that we need more of!

Someone on that forum remembers a 60's? magazine article where Barney
Navarro is quoted saying he picked the Rambler six for the Indy car
because it had the strongest bottom end of any American engine he had
ever seen. 4 times factory HP in dead-stock trim, and 6 times factory HP
with four-bolt mains. Not bad for an econobox part.