Re: [Amc-list] It's scrubbing, sanding, (and the trunk has flow-through

Re: [Amc-list] It's scrubbing, sanding, (and the trunk has flow-through ventilation)

I was going to say just surface rust. Yep, that was my thought.
Surface rust under the left-rear taillight, a little surface rust here
and there. Nothing big.

I popped open the trunk to take off the taillight, and figured I'd
empty the trunk out and have a look-see. How could I have NOT done
this before? Like when buying the car in December?

The trunk has flow-through ventilation on the left side. Several small
holes, one area much bigger. I don't know how to weld, so am
considering cutting out a section and bonding a patch panel in with
adhesive. I think I'll toss that over in my mind once or twice, and
see where to get a patch panel for the trunk floor.

Anyway, it's time to rethink this. If the trunk has perforation, then
there might be some in the floorboards, too. When under the car, I
didn't see any rust through at all. It looked great! But it might be
working from the inside out.

There are some gaps in the gasket for the front and rear windows, and
I noticed water getting in when I washed it. I keep it garaged, and
the previous owner kept it in a carport. But I noticed that in the
carport rain leaked through a section in the carport, went down the
rear of the roof of the car, travelled down the back glass (there was
a clear streak in all the dust, showing the path), then travelled
along the trunk line down to the left rear taillight. It also must
have pooled in the left rear portion of the trunk - that's where it's
rusted.

Anyway - I need to decide what to tackle first. The surface rust on
the outside of the car - or the snazzy ventilated trunk. We leave on
vacation next Thursday, so I need to move all the parts I took off for
the head, and get the car back in the garage. It can't sit out waiting
for the next rain.