Re: [Amc-list] I know I'm getting old, but????

Re: [Amc-list] I know I'm getting old, but????

>From: Don <don_nsx@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:don_nsx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
>I went to my local parts chain up here in the Great White North, Canadian Tire, and plunked >down a set of points for my 70 AMX and asked for a new set.
>The guy at the counter looked at them and asked "What are those?"
>I told him they were points, and he asked "Where do they go?"
>He had to go get another "veteran" parts guy to help me.
>I guess I'm just out of touch with the modern era.
>Don

What are points?

Just kidding!! That is sad when that happens. I was looking for parts for my 66 american one time and the kid couldn't find it. He asked if it was built by dodge. He finally had to have an older manager come over. The manager knew exactly what I had.

On another note, my dad has a few David Bradley two wheel tractors (some of you aged folks may be familiar with these). He hasn't used them much lately but used to use them for just about everything from mowing fields to removing snow and even hauling in the firewood. He had one with the original old motor on it.

The motor had points under a little cap on top, instead of under the flywheel (we hadn't seen a setup like this before).  We went to a small engine shop looking for points and the old man knew exactly what we had when we told him it was on a David Bradley and said to go to Carquest.

We walked in and my dad laid the points on the counter without saying anything more then "do you have any of these?". The guy looked at them and said "oh, six cylinder ford points". My dad said "are they?" and he asked "you don't know what they came out of?". As it turned out, the guy now what he was talking about and the six cylinder ford points turned out to be an exact match. And it turns out the motor on the tractor was a continental.

Jamie Smith
Spokane, WA