Re: [Amc-list] performance six

Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " but one oddity -- the exhaust valve guide holes are about .43" diameter
> " instead of the .3something of stock. QUITE large.
>
> 0.375" +/-.  your heads were probably set up for sodium-cooled exhaust
> valves, though i don't know why the stems had to be quite so large.

It is weird. The used valves I have do fit.

> " Sadly, the pistons I have don't match the bores.

I was of course assuming that the pile was all rambler but certainly, it
was just an old shelf, and these could be brand C or brand F or
anything. In any case they are in decent shape, very slight scuffing
where you'd expect and a very light coating of carbon. They're probably
worth something to someone.

With the odd bore it will need custom pistons, and the block has all
those oiling mods. I'm thinking that the best route would be to put the
fancy-pants head on a stock bottom end, since I'm not going for max
horsepower, and if Barney was getting 550hp@6200 for 500 miles, a
well-done stock bottom end with the 199 crank ought to be good for half
that or more. The head is the cool part and where all the work went!

> " From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
> "
> " AFAIK, they never put the 199 out for production use in 1964 so that
> " 64 head you had cleaned should be for the 232.
>
> yeah, but that head was used '64-7 so unless he -knows- it was built
> in '64...

I know it doesn't matter, but the head came out of a 64 Classic. It
raises the likelihood that it's 1964, but we all know that anything can
and does happen to a street car in 4+ decades...