Re: [Amc-list] Scrap warning - 65 Wagoneer & late 60's Gladiator (327's)

Re: [Amc-list] Scrap warning - 65 Wagoneer & late 60's Gladiator (327's)

" From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" I'm forwarding these on to the Jeep lists.
"
" I've been trying to find out what it would take to bolt the 327 I have
" now to the 4 speed currently in my buddy's '68 IH Travelall. I think
" it's a T85? T86A? (Crashbox 4 on the floor replaced by the State of
" Oregon from a 3 speed on the tree) behind the BG-241 6 cyl. The IH 6
" is amazing, but too pokey to handle highway speeds, especially with a
" load.
" (4.10 axles don't help!)

the t85 is a fairly strong 3sp used with amc 327s and big v8s like
olds 394s; the t86 is a medium-weight 3sp used with small v8s, eg.
ford and studebaker 289s and amc 287s.

the most common light truck 4sp, which has a crashbox 1st, is the
warner t18.  there are afaik at least 3 gearsets and a large pile o'
input shaft and case variations, but between kaiser parts and
cornbinder parts you ought to be able to come up with a tranny that
takes a stock jeep bellhousing and clutch.  iirc both used the same
case bolt pattern, and most commonly the 6.32:1 1st gearset.

advance adapters might be able to shed some light.

there's also a full-synchro t19 version.

of course, oregon could've put some other 4sp in from a different
rd241 application...