Re: [Amc-list] Howell TBI in a 63 Classic...

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I know your anti modern, xcept your finally trying efi...
> Go to an electric fan setup, get one off a taurus or similar mid to late 90's Fraud.

Oh I'm not THAT reactionary... :-) I never got the thermostat stuff to
work right, and I had aftermarket fans that simply didn't move enough
air, so I went back to a flex fan, then later found the plastic one that
works great.

So you use yours with a manual switch? Well I guess that solves the
miserable thermostat issue.

I have a 60 amp alternator in the Classic. THAT car I'm utterly agnostic
on, with some exceptions. It's the beater, the workhorse. TO get
started, I'll put the fan I have back on then drive to U-Pull-It to
check out Taurus fans.

Frank agitates for them too, so between you both my arm is twisted.

> With 180* stat it very seldom sees above 210*. Even in 90* weather it only runs about 192* at anything above 30mph.

My problem is that pinging changes wildly between 180 and 210. If it
stys cool I can run like 10 degrees static, hot, 5 degrees. Something
like that, I haven't actually measured it for that. But it's big.

I just ordered a 195 high-flow. I have a 180. I figured cooling systems
work best at high temps (bigger inside:outside difference) and
combustion likes it too.

>    I've done engine driven to electric conversions on a couple of vehilces all have averaged a 1 mpg increase in traffic and low speed driving.
>     It also will giving you just a little better throttle response on takeoff.
> The 196 would be the ideal engine to do this to as every little bit makes a difference with the smaller engines.

OK, I'll try it.

The AMerican though, it's got a 20 amp generator, meaning it's probably
good for 10 amps at 2400 highway cruise rpm. I suppose when it dies I'll
go alternator.