[Amc-list] Cold-air induction - 'All in the Family'

[Amc-list] Cold-air induction - 'All in the Family'

<rodbrundage@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Cold-air induction - 'All in the Family' -

Thanks Brien, but being the cheap SOB that I am, I'm thinking
of this route...http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/9849/10002/-1

..

*Significant Horsepower
Gains and Great Looks*

This system maximizes cold air intake (thus reducing intake temperature)
on carbureted or fuel injected/TBI engines. It features components that
allow for a one-of-a-kind installation, including mandrel bent polished
aluminum tubes, couplers, clamps, brackets, flexible ducts, airflow
sensor mounts & adapters. Many components and accessories are also
available separately.

The *Dual Air Intake System Kit* includes:

# One plenum (plenum stud & hold-down not included)
# Two straight intake tubes
# Two 45° intake tubes
# Two support brackets
# Four tube connectors
# Two air filters

--

It'd be mighty nice looking - hood up & polished brightly, however:

Viewing the $76.99 cast Alloy heat soaker:

the air restriction from it's narrowed 'dual plane'design intake -

the air restriction from the two air cleaners -

the air restriction from the heat absorbing Alum Tubes & Elbows etc. -

my guesstimate is that @ speeds under 75MPH:

you'll achieve less air flow /cool air flow
than a stock 4bbl. single snorkel air cleaner aimed in the right
direction.

And since this is a 'direct design' - the first rain,
those two air cleaners would eventually cease flowing
air entirely.

What about taking a V8 Air Cleaner - & adding a 2nd snorkel to it -
then buy some smooth non heat absorbing tubing sourced
from NASCAR suppliers & Mod Jav hood scoops ?

Best Option:

find a junk car - turn it in for scrap & buy a repro
MoPar T/A Shaker Scoop assembly & run with it.

You'll have slammin' Ram Air and it will handle rain
drainage all in one package.

At the very least - you'd be able to say : "It's Functional" !