[Amc-list] Hemmings short article on the '61 Custom Six

[Amc-list] Hemmings short article on the '61 Custom Six

my baby is a 62 10 car. classic custom to be exact. when i was still in oklahoma, i got ahold of a 65 classic. the wheel base wasnt much longer. but a little. the fenders were WAY longer. my 62 would fit in my garage and could still open the dryer door. (dryer was right at the right front tire) with the 65 in there, i could BARELY fit it in. had to park all but against the wall. and then the dryer door would open. as far as front and rear, garage door barely closed, and barely off the steps going into the house.

as for inside, i didnt notice the 65 being a whole lot roomier. seemed wider. alot more head room in my 62 i thought. (maybe that was because the headliner was fallen down and would rest on my head when i was in??)

i love the body lines of the 63-66 big cars. but i still prefer my 62.

now i have a 62 classic, 63 american. my next rambler that i have always wanted since i got my 62 and started learning about these cars... a 65-66 ambo ragtop. they just look so classy and luxiurious to me.

all 3 ramblers are 2 doors. the 65 and 63 are hardtops. my 62 is just 2 door with the posts. when i weighed it at the truck scales half way to town, it tipped them at 2950 with 3/4 tank of fuel and me out. full interior and everything. as it sits now. i have a 03 dodge peon as my daily driver. it tips the scales at 3000 with full tank of fuel and me not in it. *scrating head motion* interesting how 62 could be so tough, and ALL STEEL and weigh less than a newer PLASTIC TOY that falls apart when it hits a tall grass shoot???  well, i shouldnt say that. my neon has jumped over 3' tall snow burm, jumped the median on a texas freeway at 60mph dodging other cars, done a nice Z spin on the highway at 70 mph and the list goes on, but it sitll cruises. no problems what so ever. 32 mpg @ 70 mph. my 62  classic gets 26 mpg at 55-60 mph. have to see what my new american does with 2bbl power pack (i assume thats the power pack option??) and auto on a new rebuild. i
 expect no less than 25 after breakin is up.

dave stohler
my rambler pics@
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules