----------------
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 20:38:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

decided to go ahead and pull the engine. took 2 1/2 hours to pull it and get all 6 pistons out. rings are stuck in the pistons. soaking in pb blaster. piston pins are tight in all but 1 maybe 2. 1 piston is corroded up on the top pretty badly. is there anything that you can build them back up with? i have heard of some epoxy type stuff similar to jb weld that people used to use to build domes on pistons. if there is such a thing, i can build that one piston back up, smooth it out and all pistons/rods will be reuseable. then i just need to get new rings/bearings and motor should be good to go. no pitting hardly at all on the cylinders. measured and its still stock bore. hone it out and good to go. cleaned out all oil passages with pressure washer. everything is flowing well. no big chunks of stuff. all the rust and all is from condensation. all valves are sealing except for 2 exhaust valves that have minor leaks. used water in the exhaust/intake mans to
 check for leaking. all valves have lossend up. still have 2 that are a little stiff. will work some more. rocker shaft is still tighter than h3ll. got one rocker off one end, and it was drier than a popcorn fart under on the shaft.

i may be lucky with just buying rering and bearings. hopefully. may need to buy a rocker shaft tho.

by the way, i can tell the motor has been pulled before. the support bar thats behind the radiator is welded to the inner fenders. it has been cut and welded before, and marks on the inner fenders exact same as what i put in trying to wiggle it out at funny angles tonight. also, 2 pistons are a tiny bit different than the others. a hole on either side of the pistons where the pin goes thru. for oil i assume. 2 pistons dont have them, and those 2 rods are newer than the others. nice and clean. look like brand new. funny thing is, those are the 2 pistons that are corroded....

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"