Re: [Amc-list] Shroud for 70 Javelin?

Okay, so I picked up a new cap.  13 lbs.  Looked at the old one, 7 lbs.  I
thought I replaced it when I put the engine back in, but maybe I forgot.  I
also removed the thermostat and drove it.  Before the drive, looked in the
rad and a ton of coolant was flowing, so I think the pump is okay, and the
coolant did not build up and gush out, so the rad must be flowing okay.  It
did run lower on the temp gauge during the drive than it does with the stat
in.  When I parked and let it idle, it did climb up a bit but not as much as
with the stat in.  I checked the water neck with an IR temp gun and it
stayed about 200 at idle with no stat.  I am guessing a shroud would help
that a bunch, and not hurt the at speed temp either.

I then put the stat in some water and it started to open at 175, seemed
fully open at 195.  Sure seems like it does not open much, especially if you
compare it no stat at all.  I thinking about getting a lower temp stat that
is high flow and giving that a try while I explore finding a shroud that
will work.

Thanks to all for the input, it helps sometimes just talking through things,
even the obvious stuff.

Chris Peters

Resto pics at http://www.thepetersgarage.com