[Amc-list] T-96 woes

Welp I had a feeling there was a problem... I'm having 2-3 synchro
problems in my rebuilt T-96. It crunched a bit when shifting into 3rd
occasionally after I rebuilt it, though it never got any worse and was
only occasionally.

But when I was doing ignition testing last week, and shifting relatively
hard and fast (not slamming, just quickly) it ground every time into 3rd.

Well now it grinds on 3-2 downshift unless I shift very slowly. It's
fine if I double-clutch.

I neglected to check the shimming of the stack of gears in the
mainshaft, and I suspected that it was too loose, eg. the bronze
synchros would not spin up the gears, the cones were too loose. Well now
  it's worse and it's gotta come out eventually. A stupid oversight, it
would have been easy to shim it right.

I still have 50-weight in it, I'll try 90/140 and see if that helps, and
I'll be nice to it (it's fairly easy to avoid the grinding).

Oh well, live and learn. Luckily it's not that hard to come out, and
it's not an emergency. I will fix it, and I can't blame the trans on
this one, but this makes a T-4 even more attractive!