Re: [Amc-list] TELL ME THERES HOPE!!! (doubtful)

Won't hurt a thing to wash it out as you won't be running it and pumping oil through it. The lifters are solid, not hydraulic, so nothing to stop up there. Your only real problem would be if the lifters are stuck, but since they get so much oil I doubt it. Remember, those lifters only come out after the camshaft is removed, they won't pull out the top! Bottom end should be fine also. Most of the mess washed off the top because the rockers are also bathed in oil, but the bores are not. You might want to remove the pan before washing the engine out. Will probably stop the drain hole up in short order!

-----------
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:52:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

well, got the head out on the sidewalk and put the pressure washer to it... VERY suprisingly, it dont look bad at all.
yes there is oil in the bottom end. i think the bottom is ok, just the cylinders and rockers were rusted pretty bad.

im wondering what its going to hurt, when i drain the oil, pull the thing out in the diveway so i can use my BIG buckets. (up on ramps) and run water down the lifter valley and all. rinse all that junk out of the bottom of it?? hey, whats it going to hurt?? it already has all that rust in there, so i dont think im going to be making it any worse??

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"