[Amc-list] Howell (GM) TBI on 195.6... fits!

[Amc-list] Howell (GM) TBI on 195.6... fits!

Put most of my hacked distributor together tonight, no big deal of
course. New felts and nice and slick.

On a lark, I got out the TBI to see what the mounting flange looked
like. Hmm, comes with a BBD-base adapter. Gee, I have a Carter YF to BBD
adapter... voila! Instant bolt-on TBI.

I have to port-match the adapters, but that's easy. The throttle body is
wide, and must be raised about 3" to clear the valve cover, so it's
close to perfect.

Truly perfect would be a 2bbl plate for the 195.6 trough, and a custom
adapter, which would eliminate the bottleneck at the 1bbl hole. But
there's a lot of meat there, and it's aluminum, so I can hog it out
probably 1/4" or more and blend it nice.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/TBI/

The one bummer so far is that though the throttle lines up just fine
with the car, it rotates exactly the wrong direction. Not insurmountable.

PS: There's a guy on the Inliners site who is doing some serious hacking
on a Willys 161ci F-head motor, which has the same type intake as the
Nash motor, the old Chevy six, etc. He's milled the trough off, made a
cover to re-seal the water jacket and made a two-carb manifold. Very
inspiring!