Re: [Amc-list] If you were me..

Mark,

   You are actually about the closest lister to me, since you are 2
counties over in Berkley, whereas I am across the state line in Loudoun.

   For sure the 81 has an SR4. It boldly proclaims the Ford brand, which I
am pretty sure was NOT cast into the side of the T4. I think it even says
SR-4 somewhere on the case.

   The SR4 as used in the 4-cyl has a different input shaft - not sure why,
but it is thinner and I believe it is also longer than the 6 cyl input.

   Anyone have a spare 6-cyl input shaft for an SR4? Or a 6-cyl SR4 for
parts?

   The 4-cylinder cars all had hydraulically assisted clutches, where the
6-cylinder passenger cars did not; they did keep the linkage right up to
83. I had an 80 Spirit 4cyl years ago that had a flaky clutch master
cylinder but it only acted up when the temperature was below freezing.

   I did get a Jeep master cyl and now will try that out. Not sure what the
Concord master cyl looks like yet so I can't tell what differences there
are.

   As luck would have it I was given an 82 Buick Century with throttle body
injection. I have the EFI stuff off of it and will have to swipe the intake
and the dizzy. The previous owner had a Goodwrench rebuilt engine installed
in this car after he blew up Mom's last car on the Autobahns when he was
posted to Germany. I got the car 15K miles later (when the tinworms had
gone to town on it), so the engine is very low mileage, even though I have
a good running 2.5 in the Concord. It would be nice to be able to configure
the 81 with TBI so I could toss the spaghetti since it makes it impossible
to reach anything on the engine.

(Anyone needing a low-mileage FWD 2.5 Iron Duke, let me know. The rest of
the Buick will end up going to the local Volunteer Fire Department for a
Jaws of Life training car and will subsequently be used as a fire source
for practice.)

    The other option for the 81 I have been thinking about is an automatic
from an S10 and I may go that route if the Jeep master cyl does not work. I
think that they used the 2.5 between about 1988 and 1996, although I would
want the earlier years if possible to avoid too much computerized wizardry.
I think that the computer from the Buick does get an input from the
automatic, but I think it is only which gear the car is in and perhaps
whether the torque converter lockup clutch is engaged.

    I do have a 6-cyl bell for a T4/T5, so that could work too (could use
the 232 behind it), but I would have to pick up a T5 and that would not be
cheap. The 150T is free...and even a driveshaft mod is a lot cheaper than a
T5!

    Fitting a 7-main-bearing engine into the 64 looks like it would be a
chore.
There is not much room between the 196 and the radiator. I am sure that
there are ways of mounting the radiator further forward, and since the Grem
crossmember would bolt in the front mounts are fine. I could even keep the
Grem bellhousing since it would bolt up to the T-96. The problem is making
it fit in the front. I bought what was supposed to be a 1971 CJ5 waterpump,
but I think that I got a generic 232 pump, as it does not seem any shorter.
That is why the idea of the 2.5 in there is attractive - it is short enough
to work just fine. If I could fix the bellhousing of the 2.5 to bolt up to
the T96 in the 64, it would work fine and since the 64 is the lightest car
I own it would not feel underpowered. I think the rear in the 64 is a 3.31,
but it could be 3.73, which would do fine if I got an OD T96 from the
Studebaker vendor - which would let me keep the stock column shift for a
sleeper upgrade. In this case, not really a performance upgrade, but a nice
economical driver. I think I could even use 65-66 Stude clutch parts if
needed since they had the 194 bolted up to the T-96, if I can find them.

Jim