Re: [Amc-list] School me on the 2.0L in DJs

I'm planning to just cannibalize the parts motor (According to the 924 board, only the head and turbo were added to the non-turbo motor, at least in the 924s)  I'll check it out while it's apart. It's pretty zippy for a small 4 banger, but I recall the fun I had with the Renault GTA I owned temporarily a few years back. The DJ is very light (it has a class 4 trailer hitch!. I momentarily thought about my 5th wheel, then laughed at the idea) with the aluminum (I think) top bolted to a CJ tub. The front fenders are shorter than the ones on my son's older CJ5 with 6 cyl.
   If I found an AMC 4 cyl CJ7 parts rig (83 up?), I'd have everything I need! I found a CJ8 that had been rolled, but the owner wanted too much for the tweaked setup. This will just be a to/from cabin/work rig and moving stuff around the yard (It's only a 904 trans). Maybe the DJ guys will want the leftovers when I'm done. (2wd front axle MAY become my 4x8 trailer's new axle. It sits waaay too low for even my driveway!)

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] School me on the 2.0L in DJs
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
" From: Jim Blair
"
" I have recently acquired a '79 DJ with the Audi 2.0L engine and 904
" auto. Thinking about a long trip driver (to and from my cabin) to save
" gas. (Is the bell pattern on the trans singular to that engine?) My
" buddy (who is an old school machinist) in S Seattle has (last I
" checked) a turbo '79 Porsche 924 with the same engine that was rotted
" out due to sun roof leak.
"    I'm thinking maybe swapping in the turbo and EFI, but it will
" depend on dependability of the system? If not, then an AMC 2.5 with
" Renix TBI and an AW4 will be the swap in (I already have a 904 and
" flexplate for that setup too)

i've always thought that amc kept the audi/porsche bell pattern.

i'd swap the whole motor, as it likely has internal differences to
handle the turbo - cam, valves, even oil cooling to the pistons isn't
impossible, not to mention h/d pistons and rods.  the efi is
dependable; the turbo too if not thrashed as porsche owners would tend
to do.  if you've been 'on it', let the engine idle for a while to
cool the turbo down before you shut it off!

imho the amc 2.5 is probably the better long-term fix - more beefy,
more robust.