Re: [Amc-list] School me on the 2.0L in DJs

Re: [Amc-list] School me on the 2.0L in DJs

" From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" I have recently acquired a '79 DJ with the Audi 2.0L engine and 904
" auto. Thinking about a long trip driver (to and from my cabin) to save
" gas. (Is the bell pattern on the trans singular to that engine?) My
" buddy (who is an old school machinist) in S Seattle has (last I
" checked) a turbo '79 Porsche 924 with the same engine that was rotted
" out due to sun roof leak.
"    I'm thinking maybe swapping in the turbo and EFI, but it will
" depend on dependability of the system? If not, then an AMC 2.5 with
" Renix TBI and an AW4 will be the swap in (I already have a 904 and
" flexplate for that setup too)

i've always thought that amc kept the audi/porsche bell pattern.

i'd swap the whole motor, as it likely has internal differences to
handle the turbo - cam, valves, even oil cooling to the pistons isn't
impossible, not to mention h/d pistons and rods.  the efi is
dependable; the turbo too if not thrashed as porsche owners would tend
to do.  if you've been 'on it', let the engine idle for a while to
cool the turbo down before you shut it off!

imho the amc 2.5 is probably the better long-term fix - more beefy,
more robust.