Re: [Amc-list] Engine Cranks Slow When Hot

Re: [Amc-list] Engine Cranks Slow When Hot

>From: Todd Tomason <jayscore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jayscore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

>I've noticed something odd with my Spirit.  If the car is thoroughly warmed
>up, and I make a short stop (say 15 minutes), the engine cranks noticeably
>slower when I start it.  As it turns over a few times it speeds up, and it
>starts just fine.  My first thought is some sort of heat issue.  Maybe the
>battery is getting marginal (it's several years old) and the heat is
>affecting it.  Or maybe the heat is affecting the engine itself somehow.

>Any ideas on what to check?

>Thanks,

>Todd

My 66 American and my 86 Eagle both started doing this. When the engine was cold (usually first thing in the morning) it cranked fine but as the engine (and the outdoor temps) warmed up it would crank real slow. Both did this until they just would not crank at all anymore. Both ended up having to be towed home. Both turned out to be worn out bushings in the starter.

On the Rambler everything was worn so bad the inside of the starter was all chewed up. I couldn't afford a new starter. My dad had an old GM starter laying around so I bought a set of bushings and used my junk starter and his junk starter and the new bushings to put together a starter. It was still working good a couple years later when I parked the car.

On the Eagle it had been getting a little sluggish and I was hoping to get it through until the weekend. I went out after work one wednesday and it cranked briefly and then just stopped. I had it towed home and then hitched a ride to work the rest of the week. That weekend I picked up a starter and went home and swapped out the starter. The starter that I pulled out was the original starter and the bushings were so severely worn that I could move the shaft an 1/8th of an inch. I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Jamie Smith
Spokane, WA
1966 Rambler American 220 Station Wagon
1984 AMC Eagle Limited Station Wagon