Re: [Amc-list] Looking for a torque tube T-96 trans w/OD

Re: [Amc-list] Looking for a torque tube T-96 trans w/OD

I have spent a fair amount of time beneath the car lately, so I can confirm
that mine is a 4-bolt mount to the torque tube and has the 4-point mounts.

The current plan is to take the T-96H from the 67 American, which I had got
from a fellow lister in nearby Maryland, and bolt that gearbox to the
tailshaft and housing from the 62. I hope that there is no roadblock to
doing that.

I admit that it IS tempting to think of the 199 in the 62 classic, since I
know the 7-main-bearing engines a lot better, and since the 196 would be an
easy swap into the 64 American Wagon which I have  had sitting around for
some while. However I would have to figure out how to make the 199 work
with the accelerator linkage of the 62 which has a unique rotating linkage
which plugs into the throttle plate linkage. Anyway, I guess the 196 should
be left where it started since the car is a 57K mile original.

I did notice that the shifter arms are completly different shapes and
lengths between the 62 and the 67, so I will swap them over.

Yes, I will take the parking brake adjuster and the flex hose loose as well
- the parking brake may be an adventure since it has probably not been
adjusted in 46 years.