[Amc-list] It's the little things (stupid)

[Amc-list] It's the little things (stupid)

I am human.  I admit it.  I was preparing to take the
BBD carb off of the Gremlin today to rebuld it and
check for rust/dirt in the bowl and passages since I
just could not seem to cure the rough idle/rough
running situation.  I put two fuel filters inline too.

When I put the little socket on the carb retaining
nuts I realized the the first two were very loose.  Uh
oh? or Whoopee?  Uh Oh? because I had not checked that
very basic item when I checked for vacuum leaks
recently and replaced some vacuum hoses. Whoopee
because the repair seemed so simple:  just torque down
the nuts and reconnect all the hoses.  I did that and
the car idles and runs very smoothly.  I still haven't
diagnosed the noise at idles but is sure seems to be
lessened when the engine idles smoothly.  I could be
the water pump rattling on it's bearings and smoother
idle lessens the action there.  Don't know.  I also
now have an oil leak at the front of the pan.  Could
be the bottom seal on the front cover.  I'll drive it
awhile and attack that maybe next weekend.

The choke pull-off is not working now either, so
that's something else to replace.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA