Re: [Amc-list] 195.6ohv ignition timing and mileage (and therefore, powe

Re: [Amc-list] 195.6ohv ignition timing and mileage (and therefore, power)

Yesterday, to find the limit, I bumped ignition to 25 (!) static. OK,
that's over the limit. But I got it to ping! Exactly where you'd want it
to; shift into 3rd at a low speed on a medium hill. Just the little
chuckle of detonation which just turned into a normal lug.

Cute little ping sound too. Not loud. Has anyone ever heard their 195.6
ping?!

Before you think I'm totally off with the high static timing (it's a
test, a test!) it means I have 30 degrees TOTAL advance at high-load
around 2000 rpm. That's not a lot.

It's only a crazy amount at low speed/load load, where it's a lot less
sensitive. With 25 static, idle is missy with high vacuum, but the
slightest load drops it to 25 - 30 below 2000.

I'll drop it to 18 - 20 BTDC static today.

But it was a great test -- now I know where to hack the distrib. I think
I have an old one to disassemble, if it's no good I'll buy one and hack
it. I'll document it, it shoudln't be hard to measure and grind out the
slot for 18 mechanical degrees of advance.