Re: [Amc-list] 195.6ohv ignition timing and mileage (and therefore, powe

Re: [Amc-list] 195.6ohv ignition timing and mileage (and therefore, power)

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> 24 is really good, and 22 for the year is great! I recalculated mine,
> and got 18.4 for the first 400 miles. I need to do a decent tuneup. I
> gotta get it in the 20's.

Oh keep picking at it! I got some improvement with a really careful
adjustment in the carb. I've got the WCD 2 barrel, it's an easy carb to
work on. If you see how carbs actually meter fuel (it's a total crock
but clearly it works :-) things like cleanliness and float level are
really critical. Idle screw and all that less so. But getting all the
linkages right etc is cheap, just requires care. The TSM for those years
has all the info!

> The twin-stick is really cool, and after 45 years, it has earned a
> place in your car. But I can understand wanting a T4 or T5. However
> you go - I'm sure your American will be cool.

Oh it's tempting, but I'll probably let sleeping dogs lie... the rebuilt
trans is working fine. I'd have to find or fit an axle, and there's a
lot of hidden small details.

But good suspension, upgraded brakes and a modern transmission, the
early Americans sure seem like it would be pretty quick, relatively
speaking. I think there's a lot of hidden potential in this 195.6 OHV
motor, as long as you accept 150 hp as "a lot" :-)