Re: [Amc-list] detonation

I ran into this problem several years back when I accidentally set my timing gears advanced of center (not a good thing to do with a 289, but it would be perfect on a 302 with retarded timing.)

From: "Armand Eshleman"
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] detonation
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."

Keith,
Just a thought here, are you absolutely sure there was no detonation when
the engine was on the dyno.
Was it just too loud in the dyno room to hear the detonation?
Did the dyno operator lug the engine at all? If not the detonation would not
occur.
My 304 would routinely detonate when going up a steep hill in high gear. I
usually wrote it off to a bad load of fuel and pedaled the throttle
accordingly.
Was the dyno fuel the best available and now you got a crap load of bum fuel
that even 6 gals. 100LL won't cure??
Now for the really serious thoughts, is it possible a sharp edge was left
exposed to the combustion chamber that has come to
life now the engine is in a car and driven? Has it acquired a chunk of
carbon already that won't go away?
Does the advance really come in at the rpm stated? Is your timing equipment
calibrated correctly?
Armand