-----------------
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 20:34:32 -0700
From: "Jamie Smith" <oconner51@xxxxxxxxxxx>

 >That is all I have ever run. Very simple and you don't have to mess
with putting on the kick >down linkage.

  > Davis

Ok, now after reading this I am curious. This is off topic for AMC but related to the shifting conversation.

At work we have a 1978 GMC Sierra Grande 3/4 ton crew cab. My boss bought it about 4 years ago and about a year later had the engine and transmission rebuilt. After only putting on about 100 miles he quit driving it (he said that it was too big since it was a crew cab). I have been trying to get him to sell it to me for 3 years and he would never commit to selling it. I recently started trying to buy it again so he suddenly decided to get it out and start driving it again but sent it to another mechanic first (somehow he got the idea that it was running bad).

When that mechanic brought it back to us he said it would have to be shifted manually because the kick down cable was missing. (now, we don't remember it having any shifting problems when it was parked after the rebuild, so we don't know if the original mechanic removed the kick down or if this one did).

It also seems to be harder to start and not as much power as before this mechanic worked on it but that is another story.......I think he did something to it to try to get my boss to sell it. He was pointing out all these alleged problems with the engine and then suggested he sell the whole truck to someone to build a hot rod and told him "I know someone that would be interested in buying it if you want to go that route".

So anyway, if this is what he did, is there something else we need to do to it besides just installing the kick down cable to get it back working correctly?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"