Re: [Amc-list] 85 Jeep Cherokee/Wagoneer question

Re: [Amc-list] 85 Jeep Cherokee/Wagoneer question

" From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" That would be the 2.8L chevy V6, most probably
" carbureted.   My 85 S-10 Blazer with V6 had an
" electronic carburetor with feedback through the C4 GM
" Emissions Control System.
"
" Joe Fulton
" Salinas, CA
"
" --- "L.D. Lyons" <ldlyons@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"
" > Looking at an 1985 4dr Jeep Cherokee, maybe Wagoneer.
" > Question is the ad says 2.8 6cyl five speed, would
" > this be a Chevy V6,
" > Vehicle was locked so I could not raise the hood.

yup, all jeep 2.8s were carbed.  these early 2.8s were somewhat
troublesome; just about the time jeep was going to the 4.0 chevy
redesigned them fixing many of their problems.  if the motor is blown
- not impossible given its age and reputation - better than a straight
rebuild would be a new gm crate 3.4 longblock made for replacing this
2.8 in early s-10s.  it takes all your manifolds and accessories and
looks completely stock, if you're in a smog-nazi state.  you get a
little more power too!

it only comes with a flexplate and you can't reuse your flywheel;
chevy went from external to internal balance in the redesign.  i
-believe- [haven't checked] an '89-up s-10 2.8 flywheel would do the
trick.