Re: [Amc-list] overdrive on a 64 American

Re: [Amc-list] overdrive on a 64 American

Since it's an American it's not hard to do. If you can pull the
transmission and rear axle that's all there is to it! You will need to
change the rear axle (or gears) to a lower (bigger number) axle ratio
for maximum benefit. The flat head won't pull a lot of gear, and the 64
had  3.78 rear axle gears with overdrive versus 3.08 gears with a
standard three speed. The OD won't work well at all with 3.08 gears and
the flat head six!

As far as the transmission you need the entire transmission and OD unit.
You can't simply bolt the OD to the standard transmission. The OD
transmission uses a special  short output shaft  that slides into the OD
unit, and there is a 1" thick adapter that goes between the transmission
and OD unit. The trans and OD unit from any 58-65 American will bolt
right in. The driveshaft might be shorter, but any driveline shop can
fix that! I think the driveshaft is the same length since the output
shaft of the T-96 without OD is rather long. The rear axle from any
58-65 American should also fit, just note that many of the earlier cars
had even lower axle gears for the OD trans, down to 4.11 with the flat
head six.

Don't forget to get the wiring harness and all attached switches and
relays for the OD. It can be wired up pretty easy without the original
parts, but you will at least need an original type kick-down switch. The
switch can be put in the floor where you can reach it with your foot
(near the headlight dimmer?) instead of on the throttle linkage if you
like, or even where you can press it with your hand. The switch is a
special four pole ratcheting switch or "snap" switch, I haven't been
able to find anything to exactly replace it, though it could probably be
worked out with relays.

Does anyone know if it's possible, or wise to try to install the
optional overdrive for my 64 american 220 wagon, 3 speed flat head
motor.  Provided I even could locate the parts is this a super
complicate procedure? Has anyone done this? any suggestions?  I'm a less
than average wrench, but have acess to super qualified friends who might
be convinced to help out.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"