[Amc-list] Fuel Guage AMX

Okay all you electrical wizards, some ideas please.
After running out of fuel I decided that it was time to fix the fuel indication on my 70 AMX.
I drained the tank and took out the sender.
Checked the resistance, and it was within specs.
Changed the voltage regulator on the dash panel with another (not new) one.
Right now the fuel reads full an a known empty tank.
Disconnected the wire from the sender on the tank and the guage still moves quickly to full when the key is turned on.
This problem began after a full rebuild of the car and I'm not ruling out a wiring problem, particularly in relation to the "low fuel" indicator light. I seem to remember some ambiguity when hooking that up.
Also, I have replaced the stock alt. with a 100 amp, 3 wire unit. Since I didn't need the stock voltage regulator anymore, I deleted it. Now I am having trouble getting the tach to work.
I have hooked it to all the places I thought would work, when you don't have a stock voltage reg. but have been unsuccessfull so far.
Don