[Amc-list] detonation

What kind of cranking compression does the motor have??
More than 200 and you have found you're problem. Street motors should not
have more than about 180 if you want to try and run pump gas. You might be
able to reduce it with a cam change if it's too high.

Watch out for water injection. It WILL help detonation but if used
excessively it can cause erosion of the cylinder (especially around the
exhaust port) and exhaust seat and port.  I have seen boat engines with this
problem where the intake was located in an area that allowed water spray to
enter the engine.

But HEY,,, That's just ME!!
Bruce Hevner