From: Keith Evenson <epd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] detonation
To: AMC/Rambler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, owners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 12:14 PM

So this is the deal. As some of you may remember, I just had my 390
rebuilt and it dyno'd best with the timing at about 36 degrees adv.
at 2500 rpm. Since I got it in the car I have been having some
detonation issues. I was running 92 oct. (which is what I used at the
dyno) and in the car it runs great but when I put it under some load
it has what I am calling detonation. I have lower the timing a bit to
about 34 degrees and I have used the NOS brand octane boost. Still
getting the detonation. Yesterday I went to the local airport and put
in 6 gal of 100 octane with the rest of the tank filled with 92. I am
still getting the noise but it is not as bad. So should I go to a
50/50 mix or try lowering the timing more or is there something else
anyone can suggest? I have run it with the vacuum advance
disconnected and still getting it.
I have this great new motor and I can only run it about 1/2 to 3/4
throttle so I want to DRIVE my car not just put around in it.
HELP!
Thanks,

Keith Evenson