Re: [Amc-list] Starter solenoid conversion ???

Re: [Amc-list] Starter solenoid conversion ???

  Ahhhh !  Now you tell me bout snugging up two screws...after almost 90 minutes on th etop bolt (no room to get a decent wrench into).and yes it was an intermittent  problem that turned to a constant problem yesterday...

  Car Quest comes through again, only this time their part was $20.00 more than APD, but was in stock and with shipping would have probably been the same...

  Now to go and put it back together...Yippeee !

  Thanks again Tom and Frank for your help ...

  I'm still staring at the 1963 American with the control arm issue but it's time will come soon...

  Bill

Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  WILLIAM SERCKIE wrote:
> Good Morning All...,
>

> The starter solenoid on my 1965 American finally died yesterday. Is there a way to convert to the later model, fender mounted solenoid without haing to pull the starter, or do I need to order the OEM style that is currently piggy back on the starter ?

It's not just the solenoid, it actually pushes the starter gear into the
flywheel. YOu need a replacement.

However, often they disassemble themselves and stop working! Did it go
intermittent? Sometiems work sometimes not? I've found that the two
longish case screws come loose and simply need tightening. You can do it
in the car if you're good at microgymnastics (as I call it, operating a
small wrench blind with your arms stuck in the car in crazy angles).