Re: [Amc-list] PNR2D1L

" From: Joe Smith <know_ware@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I am somewhat embarassed to ask this question, but...
" In all my years of driving automatics, I have never really payed any
" attention to the PNR2D1L.  Yesterday while driving on a slightly hilly
" road with lots of stop sighns (pun intended), I discovered that my 63
" drove much better in Low.  In fact, when I am on surface streets, with
" lots of stop and go, it drives a whole lot better in Low.  I always
" thought Low was for towing stuff, and I don't have a clue what the
" difference is between 2D1.  Can someone remove my ignorance and
" explain exactly what 2D1L are used for and when.  Is the reason my 63
" American drives better in stop and go traffic because I have
" 205R75-15's instead of 165-15's?  Should I swap tires?

your quadrant should be P-R-N-D2-D1-L.

D2, which you had been using, starts your car off in 2nd gear; 1st
isn't used at all.  D1 starts off in 1st and goes through all the
gears, and that's probably what you're using now.  L really is low; it
won't upshift at all and only downshift into it if you're already in a
higher gear.

i learned this from reading my '66 01 tsm.  my '67 50 [marlin
232/auto] was the same way.  i always drove it in D1.