[Amc-list] Dust or smoke in the distributor cap

[Amc-list] Dust or smoke in the distributor cap

I have a pertronix in my 61 American, and the other day, it just stopped.  I could tell it wasn't getting any fire, so I took off the distributor cap and the "passenger" side of the cap was coated with a fine dust.  I wiped it out with a rag, blew off the pertronix and drove home, very perplexed.  What would cause that dust or smoke and why?
I am currently planning to put a pertronix in my 63 American, but am starting to have second thoughts.
Both have OHV 196's from Rambler Classics.
 http://360.yahoo.com/karl_haart